Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, 15 April 2012

Info Post
Dear Friends,
 
I have been posting all my write ups and thoughts in the Daily Mile (DM) blogs.
 
I did not realise that many of you might not be in DM.
 
My Takeaway from the 21 x 21 + 46 is shared herewith.
 
Bala J
Peace for All, Prosper All
 
 
21 Take Aways from my 21 x 21 + 46
 
1. Don't live in the future. Enjoy the present for a memorable past.
 
I never thought of the 21 days to be run but for the run I had to run "today". Even on the day of run, I did not think of the 21 kms to run but for each kilometer to run to complete 21 kms. So, a completed run for the day, gave me happiness to look forward to the next day
 
2. The small "pixels" make the bigger picture.
Though this point might seem to be similar to the previous point, I broke down the entire project to small distances to conquer the 21 days of running. I focused on lamp posts, traffic lights, stationary cars (when the car moves away, the goal was moving farther!!!). The entire stretch was broken down to small stretches. This strategy was very useful when my body was trying to be disobedient.
 
3. Our body is the most wonderful creation
Our body is obedient to us than any other creation in this world. When the runs were getting longer and harder, the feet gave me a signal to give it some special treatment. So, a volini rub with some hot and cold water treatment, made it happy. So we must listen to the signals and "A stitch in time saves NINE"
 
4. Natural food is wonderful and effective.
During my runs I made sure I ate 5 or 6 bananas a day. I ate a banana before and after the run. During the day I ate a banana every 2 or 3 hours. I also had about 8 to 10 badams during the day. Occasionally I ate boiled vegetables (one ladies finger, some cabbage and a carrot). The water that was used to boil the vegetables was also consumed. I also had "fenugreek", "badams" soaked in water to be drunk / ate before the run. There is no better carbo-loading than CURD RICE.
 
5. Water, Water, Water
During my entire 22 days of running, I did not cramp for even a second. On the contrary I felt strong in the second half of all the runs and I think this is primarily due to the hydration. As a matter of fact, it's better to drink 200 ml of water every half an hour during all days. There is nothing such as "hydration for a run". We should be hydrated always.
 
6. Respect your co-runner's run
We must respect the likes of our co-runners. There are some runners who prefer silence as they run along, some like to chat, some like to run faster, some for a slow run. It's better if we ask them before hand what their likes are. This would help BOTH OF to have a nice and joyful run.
 
7. Running with company is great (as DO More Ram always says)
There were so many marvelous runners who ran with me during the entire 22 days. It made a lot of difference to have some company and the days just went by due to the running mates. This "company" was the sole driving force for my family during the entire 22 days.
 
8. Choose a route we have never run
Sometimes it's fun to introduce an element of surprise in your run. If you run the same route all days, your mind is already tuned to the needs. BUT, if you run a different route, you are into an unknown zone and your performance is much better. A new route also adds variety to the runs. This is the reason I went to Anna Nagar, Nungambakkam, Kalashetra Colony etc.
 
9. You cannot have EVERYTHING, but you can have something
There was no social life or cinemas or family time during this series. I had to make sacrifices to achieve a goal. All the days, I denied myself the comfort of a bed. I preferred sleeping in a chair. I did not go to parties, I did not visit friends, I did not attend the functions at my relations. I had a routine to go to bed at 7:30 pm, wake up at 2:30 am for a 4:00 am start. I chose the something and ignored the "manys" in the "everything"
 
10. Little things matter, so don't ignore the little routines.
I got my running vest, shorts, shoes, dri-fit socks, Vaseline, fuel belt ready the previous day. I also ensured that my change of clothes, slippers and a banana with energy bar was in my bag the previous day itself. The entire route was "robo-like" and any small changes in routine did affect the starting time.
 
11. Continuous Music during the run is not always great
If the ears get hammered by music non-stop, it's going to be harmful. So, I chose to select music when my energy levels were going down and chose to switch it off, when I wanted a quiet run. I believe that on many occasions, music has helped me to cross the "finish" line. I am a big fan of mixing it up with some rock, pop, carnatic, AR rahman, pre-60s hits, ghazals. Here again I jumble it up for that "element of surprise"
 
12. The Mind is stronger than the Body
Any feat is "awed" after it's accomplished. The Body is always ready to be helpful and cooperative. It's the MIND that has to be overcome to do the impossible. Once the mind conquers the body, any feat is possible. I had several discouragements before I commenced my 21 x 21 + 46. BUT, I had decided to do this and I overcame the "pull downs" to complete the feat.
 
13. Work is bread and butter and run is for fun
I did not take a day off (even on the III, IV and V) Saturdays because I was doing the 21 x 21 + 46. I did not allow this project to overwhelm me to take holidays from work. We run for good health and fun. So, we cannot allow running to override our other important priorities.
 
14. Love to EMBRACE PAIN
Running helps us to break the thresholds of pain. I have taken myself beyond the pain zone during these 22 days. I enjoyed the bliss when I could go beyond the pain zone. As an example, sometimes, I think of taking a 1 minute walking break after a 9 kms run BUT I have extended this one minute break to beyond 15 kms. When you go beyond your normal pace, the pain zone you go through is unbelievable.
 
15. Don't get too technical on the run details
I did not get too technical on my run. My body is the best machine in the world and it gave me ample signals when I had to correct myself. All I bothered was a HM distance and a time limit of 2 Hours and 30 minutes to complete the run. Going too technical in to the run, makes the entire run too cumbersome and the mind is full of numbers and "anxieties"
 
16. Sometimes rules can be broken
My staff had gifted me a nice pair of NIKE shoes. They wanted me to wear it on the 6th and 7th of April 2012. I did not heed to the rule book OF NOT WEARING A NEW PAIR but just wore new shoes and ran. Honestly nothing was different on the 21st day as it was during other days. So, do not get too bogged down by the rule book.
 
17. Use ALL opportunities to cheer up someone
It just costs us a few "decibels" to cheer a runner. I was asked to take it easy and run a quiet run on my 46 kms run. BUT the sight of many runners who were trying to break their "distance" phobia made me scream their names to encourage them. Maybe I could have cut down a few minutes, if I had run quietly. But these minutes are worth nothing compared to the spirit of the efforts being taken by other runners.
 
18. Very Early morning runs are better than late starts
Personally I feel that the "window" of 4:00 am to 6:00 am is the best time to run. It gives you good air, less noise, solitary moments, fragrance of the flowers, early morning sun rise, the chirping of the birds. The difference is that if you had run for an hour, the nature's balm is best soothing. After seeing the sun rise, you are out to give your best for the rest of the run. ALL my runs during the 22 days were between 4:00 am and 6:30 am.
 
19. Be prepared for an off day
It wasn't that all my 22 days were happy runs. I did have some lows and was feeling let down. An odd event at the office (like an employee disappearing without giving notice), or a odd family tiff with your parent or siblings, makes you think "what the heck am I doing". During this series, I was asked by my Brother-In-Law to accompany him to Tirupati on the April 6th and April 7th. I had to refuse his request. On such days, though a run is supposed to give you solace, You don't' have a good run. If your mind, soul and body are not in rhythm you cannot have a good run. On these days, it wasn't a great run, but still a run is a run.
 
20. FAME is illusionary and it lasts for a few seconds
The entire experience gave me the opportunity to be "grounded" and not let the achievements "hit your pride and ego". The write up in Hindu, the emails, the phone calls, the daily mile exchanges all could have made me think I am larger than life. BUT, the fact is that this feat made me feel too small and look up on all those amazing runners who are breaking boundaries and setting a new feat every other day. The reality is that I am a 5 hour runner and I have to work hard to make it a 4:30 run (without losing the joy of running)
 
21. The greatest gift in our life is to enjoy the smallest things
There is no substitute to that "haha" feeling, "sweat", "hugs", "early morning visuals", "friendship", "camaraderie of the runners", "the humor exchanged", "the selfless attitude", "not having a rogue stomach during a run", "not taking a break to nature's call", "the elaneer drink after a 10 kms run", "the cool shower after the run", "the small niggles and pains in the body after the run", "the increase in appetite" and finally the joy we get which the other Non-runners are missing.
 
So let's run for the JOY OF RUNNING and live a happy and healthy life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment